Skip to content
Jan 16 / Amy

Australia: Day 1, The Departure to Oz

If you’re one of my blog followers (or if we’re friends on Facebook), you know we’ve been back from Australia for two weeks now.  I had every intention of attempting to blog while we were Down Under, but I wanted to take the time to enjoy myself and spend quality time with Josh since this was our first true vacation since our honeymoon.  So here I am, playing catch-up.  Throw in the fact that we just bought a house, so my free time has been somewhat limited!

We’ve had a lot of people asking about our trip, so I wanted to get the recaps going while I could remember everything!  Thankfully I kept a journal with tidbits from our trip, which will come in handy.  We did quite a bit in two weeks, so there’s a lot to talk about!

Departure to Oz:

Our first flight was out of Atlanta to Los Angeles, leaving at 3 pm.  My mom and dad drove up to Atlanta to take us to the airport.  They came up early to visit some, but I was still running around trying to get things done before we left.  After several “Did you do this?” “Did you remember that?” questions from my mother, I assured her that I knew what I was doing, finished up the packing, and we were off for Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.


Off to the airport!

I love going to the airport – I love it more when I’m actually going somewhere.  Watching people come and go, the teary good-byes, the excited moments of being reunited – all scenes you’ll see it all at the airport.

Since we were on an international flight, I wanted to be at the airport by 12:15 – just short of the 3 hours you’re “supposed” to be at the airport before an international flight.  We got there closer to 1 pm – oh well!  Once we checked in at the Delta counter, I felt much better about what was ahead of us.  They checked our luggage on through to Sydney, but we’d have to get our boarding passes from the V Australia counter at LAX.  No big deal.

We ate lunch at the airport before heading to our gate.  Our flight was a little late departing, but nothing to really stress over.  5 hours later, we landed at LAX.  I know I mentioned it to Josh 1,265,178 times on our trip, but I hate LAX.  It’s one of the worst airports I’ve ever been too – constant construction, terrible overhead speaker system, etc.  Hate it.  Luckily once we disembarked the plane from ATL, it was pretty easy to get to the gate we needed to go to in order to pick up the shuttle to the international terminal.  Once there, we grabbed dinner at one of the restaurants, and ended up sitting next to an older woman and her mother.  We didn’t really pay them too much attention until I heard them talking about The Flying Biscuit – and at that point, I knew they were from Atlanta too.

We talked with them for awhile and found out that they were on our flight to Sydney, but they’d only be there one night before getting on their cruise ship to cruise around New Zealand – hitting several of the locations where The Lord of the Rings movies were filmed.  It sounded like a pretty nice cruise!  After dinner we checked into the VAustralia desk and got our boarding passes.  Of course, the terminal was packed and there were few seats available, and NO power outlets available to charge our electronics.

Around 9:40 pm the boarding call began!  I looked at Josh and said, “We’re going to Australia!!!” I probably said that 10 times that night.

The Plane Ride:
When we checked in to get our boarding passes, Josh and I learned that we weren’t sitting side by side on the plane.  I wasn’t thrilled, but at least we both had aisle seats in row 20.

As we stepped onto the plane, I wished we were flying in first class or business class – the seats were SO nice, but alas, I didn’t feel like dropping $10k per ticket.  Yep, PER ticket.

Once we arrived at our seats, I ended up being really excited – because we had leg room.  Lots of it.  We were also the only pair on the row without kids – because it’s also the row where crib attachments are placed for the flight.  I was a little worried, but overall – the crying baby situation wasn’t bad at all.

It’s nice being able to stretch out!

We settled into our seats, and figured out how to use the TVs.  Unfortunately, Josh’s TV stand wouldn’t stay up on it’s own.  He attempted using his long sleeve t-shirt to hold it up, by tying the shirt around the stand and himself.  It wasn’t successful for very long.

We attempted sleep, but it wasn’t easy to do after dinner.  I’m not a fan of the idea of taking drugs (even if over the counter) to sleep, but I did take one Benadryl capsule, but it didn’t work.  I spent the rest of the time watching movies and dozing off for short periods of time, but nothing to really write home about.

And after a 14 hour flight, we arrived in Sydney at 6:30 am, ready to take on the next leg of our trip!
[#3 of #52]

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


leave a comment
  1. LBD / Jan 17 2012

    Amen to hating LAX. We missed our connecting flight to Auckland once because of the horrific layout (and a few delays, but mostly the horrible layout). Excited to see you’re blogging about your fun trip! 🙂

    • Amy / Jan 17 2012

      I don’t think I’ve met anyone that truly likes LAX! I’m glad to be blogging about the trip – slowly but surely! 🙂

  2. Cristin / Jan 18 2012

    YAY!! I am so glad you will be blogging about your trip – I was so hoping you would! I went to Australia, but it was before my senior year of high school and there is so much I don’t remember!! I am so glad that you two were able to do this together!! Looking forward to hearing more about your trip!! XO!

    • Amy / Jan 20 2012

      I’m working on all the recaps, it’s taking forever – because I want to have photos to go along with them, and editing the photos is time consuming too! They’re coming though!

Leave a Comment