What’s Cooking? Enchiladas!
I was itching to try something new in the kitchen, so I decided to find a new recipe. I was exploring the Crockin’ Girls site and came across their recipe for Chicken Enchiladas and thought it would be a good one to experiment with.
After reading some of the comments on the recipe, I opted to make a few modifications. Below is my modified version, the link above will take you to the original one! The steps in the original call for making adjustments after 4 hours, but since I’m typically at work when I’m using the slow cooker – that’s not going to happen! I wanted to see how it would turn out if I put everything in at once, so I did.
- 3 Chicken breasts
- 1 plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cans of enchilada sauce
- 1 half a small jar of salsa
- 1 can low sodium chicken broth
- 3 slices of Velveeta cheese
- 1 cup low fat shredded cheese (cheddar or Mexican blend)
- Place chicken in slow cooker
- Melt Velveeta cheese slices in the microwave in microwaveable mixing bowl
- Add container of Greek yogurt, cans of enchilada sauce, and mix together.
- Mix in the salsa to the liquid. Then mix in the can of chicken broth.
- Pour liquid mixture over the chicken in the slow cooker
- Set on low for 8-10 hours (I did 8 hours)
- About 30 minutes before you’re ready to eat, preheat the oven for 350 degrees.
- Take the chicken out of the slow cooker, shred the chicken, and then place the shredded chicken back into the mixture.
- Take two glass casserole dishes, spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Take tortillas out and fill with the chicken from the slow cooker, making sure to place the overlapped portion of the tortilla on the bottom of the dish.
- Once all tortillas are filled, use any remaining sauce from the slow cooker and pour over the top of the enchiladas.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the enchiladas
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese on top has melted and the tortillas get crispy.
Makes 8 enchiladas.
[#36 of #52]